Island Creek is a planned community of single-family homes, town homes and condominiums in southeastern Fairfax County, Virginia. Located off Beulah Rd near its intersection with Telegraph Rd. Our Main building is located at :
Over 1,000 families call Island Creek home. We enjoy many Amenities: Two Swimming Pools, Two Tennis Courts, Two Basketball Courts, One Volleyball Court, Five Tot Lots, Clubhouse for Meetings & Gatherings, Pond for Fishing (Catch & Release Only) and Several Miles of Walking/Jogging Paths.
Island Creek Environment
( of )
We are within 3 miles of:
Franconia-Springfield Metro Station
Fort Belvoir Military Base
Elementary, Middle, and High Schools
Kingstowne & Springfield Town Centers (both with Movie theaters)
Our name is historically accurate and dates back to at least 1694.
When Carr Properties purchased the land, we now call home, they contacted the Lee District Office and asked them to research their files to see if there was any historic reference to this property. Surprisingly the District Office had some background information and wrote the following to the President of Carr Properties (John Cowles):
“I think we have a real winner with Island Creek and we’re delighted that no one else went back as far as 1678 to find it. The name has been verified as historically correct… It is always nice to get an appropriate name that has a tangible link with the history of the site.”
The tract of land that Island Creek is built on was part of the Hunter Tract; 1000 acres of land granted to John Thomas before 1678 and was one of the first Royal Patents in Fairfax County.
The land grant was adjacent to the Long Branch creek and the whole general area was referred to as Island Creek in 1694 possibly due to its location within the Accotink, Dogue and Long Branch creeks. Daniel McCarty purchased the site of the tract in the early 18th century.
The land is situated very near the ruins of the ancient Truro Parish Glebe later becoming Pohick Church; and it was originally surveyed by John West.
Some of the other 18th century landowners in the adjacent areas were James Whaley, Richard Chichester, William Fairfax, Charles Green and Thomas Ousley.
In an 1878 survey, the local residents were Samuel Nevitt, Fred Graves, E. Cash, George Wiley and Mrs. Lamoyne.
The present tract is very near the old Long Branch Station on the Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad. Long Branch was a consideration but was rejected as a negative due to its Gunsmoke association and older subdivisions nearby. We could have been know as "Princeton" or "Queens Town", with the intention to tie-in with "Kings Towne". Many of the street names within the community are based on these historic references and chosen by Williams, Whittle Associates, the Carr Properties advertising firm.
close this page and do not continue viewing this website.